Lime Essential Oil
Lime essential oil is also known as the Zest for Life oil. I love its smell, it is a fun, versatile oil, and a great oil to have on hand at home or when you’re on the go.
Lime is cold pressed from the peel of fresh limes, giving it a citrusy, tart, yet sweet aroma and it is commonly used internally, topically, and aromatically.
When using Lime topically, be sure to dilute for young or sensitive skin. Lime is considered to be photosensitive, so you should avoid sunlight or UV rays for up to 18 hours after topical application.
When combined with other oils, Lime can enhance the benefits of those other oils as well as create harmonize the blend. Lime blends well with Bergamot, Black Pepper, and Rosemary and can be found in InTune blend and Zendocrine.
Lime Essential Oil can support your body in so many amazing ways. Here are just a few benefits:
- Can be used as an aromatic, topical, and internal cleanser.
- Supports a healthy immune system.
- Supports relief from discomfort associated with a cough or throat discomfort.
- Promotes relief from feelings of congestion and supports open airways.
- When applied with a carrier oil, Lime promotes healthy looking skin.
- Add to shampoo to promote a healthy scalp.
- Promotes a stable body temperature.
- Can be purifying to the skin when used topically.
As you can see, there is a great deal of versatility in this essential oil.
You can also use Lime in your home for an all-natural cleaner. Check out this great recipe for a bath tub scrub.
TIP: Apply a few drops to a cotton ball and place behind the toilet for use as an air freshener.
LIME FOR KITCHEN CLEANING
Here are some tips for using Lime in your kitchen cleaning.
- When cleaning or washing down your refrigerator, add a few drops of Lime to the water you are using to rinse the fridge.
- Add to a cotton ball and place in the bottom of a trash can for freshness.
- Fill sink with water, add 3 drops Lemon and 3 drops Lime, add produce, and let soak to cleanse.
Or this multiple use soft scrub for all around the house:
LIME SOFT SCRUB RECIPE
- 1/2 c. Castile Soap (liquid)
- 1 1/2 c. Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp. Water
- 12 Drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 9 Drops Lime Essential Oil
Combine baking soda, castile soap, water, and Essential Oils with a wire whisk until smooth with a soft paste consistency. Store out of sunlight in an air tight container.
Lime is also a very uplifting essential oil that promotes feeling of happiness, cheer, and courage.
Use Lime topically, aromatically, and internally for emotional support.
Lime is also great to promote feelings like “get up and go” or for an increase in self-esteem.
Combine with Melissa, Tangerine, Elevation, Balance, or Citrus Bliss. Remember that Lime will enhance the benefits of these other oils as well as add its own to them. This can be very powerful for emotional support.
All households, at one time or another, can have a stale, or otherwise unappealing aroma.
When that happens, freshen and purify your air with Lime Essential Oil!
You can use Lime to create many appealing fresheners, but here are some that are cleansing and purifying while bringing in the crisp clean scents of summertime.
Most citrus Essential Oils contain cleansing and purifying properties. The following recipe will provide a crisp, clean, citrusy aroma while cleansing the air.
Using Lime Essential Oil for your skin is a great choice. And one way to do that is to use it in the shower! Making a sugar scrub is an easy and convenient way to apply Lime topically. Here’s a great recipe for doing that.
Here’s a recipe for using Lime in a homemade shaving cream:
HOMEMADE CITRUS SHAVING CREAM RECIPE
- 1 c. Coconut Oil
- 1/4 c. Almond Oil
- 1 c. Shea Butter
- 15 Drops Lime Essential Oil
Over medium heat, combine coconut oil and shea butter, stirring until completely melted. Remove from heat and add almond oil. Then allow to cool until you can transfer it to your fridge. Only cool for about 20 minutes until mixture is slightly firm. Transfer to a mixing bowl, add LIME Essential Oil, and then whip with your mixer until it has a whip cream consistency. Store in an airtight container.
Let’s pamper your lips as well as your skin! Check out this great Lime lip balm recipe.
Did you know that you can use Essential Oils to cook with, marinate, or enhance flavors in your daily diet?
For example, LIME is amazing to use in a marinade for your tacos.
LIME TACO RECIPE
- Meat of choice
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 3–5 drops of LIME Essential Oil per pound of meat
Place the meat in a bag. Add salt and LIME, and enough water to cover meat. Marinate for up to 8 hours.
VARIATIONS AND OTHER IDEAS
- Take the above recipe, add some honey, and marinate chicken wings.
- Add 5–6 drops of LIME Essential Oil to your homemade guacamole.
- Add 3–5 drops to Greek yogurt and Granola to make an enticing parfait.
- Add 1–3 drops to salad dressing.
- Add 1–3 drops to quinoa salad.
- Add 1–3 drops to your favorite Key Lime Pie recipe.
- Add 5–7 drops to fruit dip or your fruit salad for bright citrusy flavor.
- When making cupcakes, add 6–8 drops of LIME to the batter and 10 drops to the icing.
- Add 1–2 drops LIME to your homemade berry-flavored popsicles.
TIP: a little goes a long way.
We have touched on the fact that Lime is cleansing and purifying. Those properties apply to your body as well.
In other words, as we mentioned earlier, Lime Essential Oils can be used internally.
One great way to take Lime internally is in a great tasting drink! You can add Lime to your water or enjoy any of the following:
CRANBERRY AND LIME SPRITZER RECIPE: This one’s easy: choose your glass, fill halfway with sparkling water, fill the rest of the way with ice and cranberry juice. Add 2 drops LIME, stir, and enjoy.
ESSENTIALLY REFRESHING LIMEADE RECIPE
- 2 Cups Crushed Ice
- 1 Cup Water
- Lime Slices, Cherries, Strawberries, or fruit of choice
- 1–2 Drops Lime Essential Oil
Combine all ingredients into pitcher. Stir to distribute and pour immediately. Enjoy.
TIP: Add 1–3 Drops LIME to your smoothie to promote a healthy immune system, support a cleansing and purifying environment, and to promote a healthy digestive system.
We’ve talked about Lime’s cleansing and purifying properties, emotional benefits, and more.
Here are some Lime infused aromas that you can enjoy in your home.
Here are some amazing Roller Blends you can take when you’re on the go.
As you can see, there are many different ways to use Lime Essential Oil in the home.
Lime is only one of several of the most popular essential oils that I recommend having on hand each day. I want you to feel empowered to have these tools ready to go when the moment arises, whatever the situation.
If you are interested in learning about something specific, please let me know what you want to learn about! Click here to get your Lime Essential Oil Guide for download.
Please keep in mind that essential oils vary greatly in purity and potency so I want you to be able to get the highest quality Lime, and other oils. CLICK HERE to learn about how you get the oils I love and trust and become a part of my essential oil community.
And, if you would like to talk more about Essential Oils, please do not hesitate to get in touch. I am with you.
In warmth (with some Lime for zest of life),